Attic Renovation – “Finished” !!

I put finished in quotes because I still have to install some trim and Gina wants to do something to pretty up the bulkhead door and for the continued reason that often times projects like this are never really completely done.  They haunt you forever…

Dad and I put the final parts of insulation in place and laid the final rows of cedar planks in this past weekend and the room is sealed and ready for use.  The insulation seems to be working well so far and the temps in the room seem to have regulated nicely.  We’ve had some cold days and warm days during the duration of this project and the temps in the space certainly aren’t like what they used to be.  You can really tell the difference when you open the new bulkhead door to the unfinished attic space.

I have to say I’m pretty pleased with how it came out.  This is by far the largest single DIY project I’ve undertaken starting in late January and wrapping up in late April.  It consisted of several phases and we hit very few snags along the way.  I really wish I had a true before picture of what this space looked like at the very beginning still with everything we had stored in it.  This very much seemed like an insurmountable task with all the crap we had in there.  But we were able to slowly pull a purge off and get rid of a lot of stuff we were holding on to for really no reason.  Long story short we are proud of ourselves.

Now we’ve got a much nicer space to store things, allow the cats to play / hangout, and a spare bedroom in a pinch.

Photo Apr 24, 2 23 15 PM

Photo Apr 24, 2 25 10 PM

Photo Apr 24, 5 43 15 PM

Attic Renovation – More Floor, Ceiling & Electrical

I kept debating on whether I should post on all these aspects again or just wait until they are all completely done….and then I realized I hadn’t posted in a while and work is still getting done so here are some updates.

The floor is completely done.  Went with vinyl planks because we like them and I know them.  I was a bit wary of going for the install solo because I have only ever done them as a two man crew.  But this room is (basically) square with very few special cuts required so I went for it.  I’m glad I didn’t wait because I ended up flying through it in about 4.5hrs total.  3hrs on day 1 to complete maybe 97% of it and then saved the final row that needed all the special cuts around the door etc. for day 2.  That is my tip with these…orient the rows to try to minimize any special cuts (lengthwise etc.) and if possible save them and do them fresh. i.e. not immediately after a full days work.

Photo Mar 27, 11 40 23 AM

I also finished off the electrical work I wanted to do by splitting the lighting of the two attic spaces into two separate switches.  Originally all the lights were controlled by one switch but with the spaces now split that seemed like a pretty big waste of electricity lighting the other space all the time when it didn’t matter.  I had picked up some electrical tips from Tony and based on some wiring diagrams I found online I figured I could handle it.

Photo Apr 02, 11 01 25 AM

I still always expect to get electrocuted and or fry something whenever I work with electrical though even when its something as simple as this.  I pulled it off and minus installing/wiring the switches upside-down at first there were no mishaps and everything works as intended.

Only thing left to finish now is the cedar planks and final insulation behind my pocket walls.  Planks have been purchased and we’ve started laying them in place.  I’m now into the time of year where I am balancing home owning with weekend ride time so I hope to finish the planks in the next week or two.  THE END IS IN SIGHT.

Photo Apr 09, 11 04 52 AM